Cake Walk FAQs (download flyer)
If this is our first time what do we need to know?
A lot happens at the Cake Walk and Family Festival! There is the actual Cake Walk, a cake decorating contest, carnival games and carnival fare.
How much does it cost?
When you arrive at school you can purchase tickets. Tickets cost 75 cents each, OR 20 tickets for $10 (50 cents each). They are used for food, games and the Cake Walk. Food costs 2 tickets, most games cost 1 ticket, and the Cake Walk costs 2 tickets.
What is a Cake Walk?
Each participant takes their place in a circle and stands on a numbered pad. When the music starts, the participants parade around in a circle; when the music stops, our MC will pull lucky numbers out of a hat. If your number is called, you win of one of the fabulous prize cakes! The Cake Walk takes place in the Gym.
What do I need to prepare ahead of time?
- You don’t need to prepare anything but most kids like to bring decorated cakes to submit for prize cakes. We need about 300-400. One box of mix can make 2 cakes. Kids can have fun decorating them ahead of time.
- If you bring an allergen-free cake, please label it as such and let us know when you drop it off. These will be held separately.
- You can also prepare a cake to enter in the cake decorating contest if you’d like. Categories are Best Animal Theme, Best Food Theme, Best Nature Theme, Best Sports & Games Theme, Best Thoreau Spirit, and Most Creative.
- All cakes are to be dropped off in the Faculty Lounge near the Gym.
- Please do not drop off a cake in anything you want returned to you. You can use a disposable tin baking pan, a paper plate or a piece of cardboard covered in tin foil.
What are the rules of the cake decorating contest?
All cakes entered in the contest must be decorated by a Thoreau student.
You may enter as many cakes as you like.
Judging is by category and by grade group: K&1, 2&3, 4&5.
All contest cakes must be wrapped in clear plastic wrap, and labeled with the student’s name, grade, teacher, contest category and cake flavor. Please do not use cake plates or decorations that you want returned to you.
§ Cakes can be dropped off Friday after school or Saturday. Drop off is in the Faculty Lounge near the gym on the ground floor. All cakes must be received by noon on Saturday for judging.
§ Friday 3:30-7:30pm
§ Saturday 11:00-12:00pm
§ After judging, the cakes that win the contest will be displayed in the main hallway during the festival, and may be taken home by their respective student decorators.
§ The cakes that do not win the contest will be handed out randomly as prize cakes at the Cake Walk. If your cake does not win you do not get to take it home.
What are the activities and where do they occur?
There are various other carnival games in the Auditorium and Library such as High Striker, Crazy Cans, Ring Toss, Gone Fishing and Sand Art. There is also a prize wheel, face painting and hair streaking in the cafeteria.
What kind of food will there be?
The food is carnival fare and will be located in the cafeteria. There will be pretzels, popcorn, cotton candy and water.