The PTG exists to:
- Enhance educational, cultural, and social opportunities of the Thoreau School students.
- Provide an open forum for parents, faculty, staff, and administration of the Thoreau School to meet and to facilitate communication on matters affecting the school community.
- Sponsor and provide funds for special activities for students, families, and teachers.
- Serve as a liaison between the parent community and the school system administration.
- Build a relationship between the Thoreau School and the outside community.
- Educate the Thoreau community and take positions on policy or other matters that may affect the community.
- Serve as a resource for parents in the understanding of school policies and practices.
- Instill the positive message of the “Thoreau C.A.R.E.S.” school spirit.