This year, the Thoreau PTG is instituting a new “Teacher of the Year” Awards Program designed to recognize excellence and innovation among our teachers. The program is intended to honor three teachers on an annual basis each spring, and parents are encouraged to submit nominations in the three categories listed below:
- Innovative Teaching Practices: This award will be given to a teacher who has consistently exceeded curriculum standards by bringing unique, innovative teaching methods into the classroom.
- Making A Difference: This award will be given to a teacher who has made a profound difference in the life of a child (or children) at Thoreau.
- Lifetime Achievement: This award will be given to a veteran teacher who has consistently demonstrated the highest standards of excellence in teaching and served as a model for other teachers.
Nomination Process: We encourage parents to submit nominations for teachers in these categories, but ask that the following rules be followed in order to make the process fair to all. If you have any questions about the process or the awards program, please contact Shelagh Moskow or Jen Johnson at the email addresses listed below.
- Award nominations must be made by current Thoreau parents still residing in Concord. Nominating parents must have had direct classroom experience with the teacher they are nominating. Thoreau parents may write about experiences that they currently have or previously have had with a teacher about a child who has graduated from Thoreau.
- Nominations must be no longer than 1,000 words and submitted by email no later than Friday, April 26, 2013. Emails must be sent to both PTG co-presidents Shelagh Moskow (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jennifer Johnson (email@example.com). An email confirmation will be sent upon receipt of a nomination.
- A subcommittee of PTG Board members will evaluate the nominations and make decisions in each of the three categories based on the nominations received and the persuasiveness of each submission.
- Parents may submit only one nomination per category per household. Multiple submissions in a single category are not allowed.
- Nominations must specify the parent’s name and what year the nominating parent’s child(ren) had the teacher s/he is nominating. We may use portions of the nomination letter which describe why a teacher should be given an award, but we will not use the name of any children if they are mentioned in the letter without parental consent.
- Decisions of the PTG nominations subcommittee are final.
- PTG Board members are not allowed to submit nominations.
- Award recipients will be announced on Friday, May 10, 2013. The awards will be presented at the PTG Board meeting on Friday, May 17, 2013.