MESSAGE FROM CO-PRESIDENTS
Thanks to everyone for participating in the Turkey Trot today! Thank you to the parent volunteers and to Mr. Hourihan (our infamous Turkey!) and to Ms. Keefe for organizing the pep rally and the trot. Great job to all the 5th grade students for running the pep rally, and to all the students who chased the “turkey” this morning and enjoyed this festive Thoreau School tradition!
Wednesday, December 3rd – School Picture Retakes
Tuesday, December 8th – Staff Breakfast and Cookie Table hosted by 2nd & 3rd grade; Joint School Committee Meeting at 6:30pm, Ripley Conference Room
Friday, December 11th – PTG Meeting, 9am, Thoreau Cafeteria. All are welcome!
Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the long weekend!
Trish and Betsy
OPEN TABLE DECEMBER 2015 THOREAU DRIVE
Please support Thoreau’s Open Table Pantry Drive by providing items for gift bags that our fifth graders will be packing for the children of guests at Open Table over the holidays. We will try to fill 150 bags so start collecting your grade level items now! Collection starts Monday, November 30 and runs till Friday, December 18. There will be a collection box in the front hall for the items, and we are going to display the contributions so the Thoreau community can see the difference they are making day by day! Any questions, please contact Fiona Stevenson at Feinsteinfour@gmail.com, and thank you. Let’s show how Thoreau CARES!
- Kindergarten – Juice Boxes
- First Grade – Single Serving Cereal Box and/or Granola Bars
- Second Grade – Macaroni & Cheese and/or tins of Tomato soup and Spaghettios
- Third Grade – Single Servings of Apple Sauce, Pudding, Fruit Cups
- Fourth Grade – Small Bags of Cookies and/or Chips, Popcorn, Crackers, Pretzels
- Fifth Grade – Pencils, small journals, stickers
PICTURE RE-TAKE DAY – DEC. 3
If your child was not present for Picture Day in October, or if you’d like to retake their picture, Picture Re-Take Day is Thursday, December 3. Original class photos have already been distributed for free to each student so they will not be retaken (with the exception for the classes who did not yet get their picture done). CoffeePond ensures that each picture will be retaken for anyone who was not 100% satisfied. Your child should bring their original picture package (if taken) with them to the Retake Day.
IMPORTANT: Please send your child’s name to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the homeroom teacher’s name if you are planning on having your child’s picture taken on Dec. 3! We invite you to visit www.coffeepond.com to sign up your child should this be the first time that their picture will be taken. Coffee Pond recommends having your children wear solid tops for best picture results. Pictures will be taken indoors! Volunteers are not allowed to comb the hair of the students before pictures are taken. Questions: please email email@example.com OR reach out to Coffee Pond directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 1 (800) 632-2323 ext. 0 between 9am and 5pm. You will receive an email serving as both confirmation of and receipt for your order. If you have spam blocker software on your computer please set it to allow emails from email@example.com.
WINTER AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM
The Winter After School Program registration is now open. Classes start the week of November 30th. Spaces in Master Chess and Fuzzy Felt are still available. Minecraft is full. Please go to the PTG website (PTG Programs) to register: http://www.thoreauptg.org. If you have any questions please contact Stefanie Sim firstname.lastname@example.org or Jen Keegan Jiganti email@example.com.
December School Menus: http://www.concordpublicschools.net/food-and-nutrition-services/school-menus/
MySchoolBucks Lunch Account Balance: https://www.myschoolbucks.com/
Math Resources for parents: http://thoreau.colonial.net/Teachers/Link/ParentResources
December programs for Grades K-5 at the Fowler Branch of the Concord Free Public Library
- Family Matinee: Inside Out (PG), Saturday, December 5 at 2:30pm. All are welcome to stop in for popcorn and a movie.
- LEGO Challenge: Thursday, December 10 at 4pm. Each month we will challenge you with a different theme. You can build on that theme or make your own creation. For Grades K-5.
- Christmas Storytime: Monday, December 14 at 10am. Christmas stories, songs, and rhymes geared towards children ages 2-6 followed by a craft. Younger and older siblings are always welcomed.
- Gingerbread House Decorating: Saturday, December 19 at 2pm. Decorate your own gingerbread house! For ages 5 and up. Children 10 and under should be accompanied by a caregiver. Registration required.
- Big Joe’s Snow Show: Wednesday, December 30 at 10am. Big Joe the Storyteller tells winter tales from around the world that will delight, amaze, and thrill. For ages 2 and up.
Concord and Carlisle Holiday Gift Drive December 1-16
CC Youth Services and CC Community Chest are teaming up again this year to collect donations of new, unwrapped gifts and toys for youth ages 0-15. The donated gifts will be distributed to Concord Carlisle youth and families who receive services from First Connections and the Concord Carlisle Community Services department. Items in high demand include bath and body products, building sets, Boston sports team-themed merchandise, board games, arts and crafts kits, school supplies, science kits, electronics, action figures, and puzzles. Prefer to shop online? Visit your local retailer’s online store to have gifts shipped to CCCC, Attn: Holiday Gift Drive, 19 Main Street, #2, Concord MA 01742. Know a family in need. Contact Aileen Buford, MSW, at 978.318.3034
The next issue of Thoreau Announcements will be published on Dec. 3, 2015. Submission deadline: 9pm on Monday, Nov. 30, 2015. Submissions must be school or community related and not commercial in nature. Submit your item in the body of an email (no attachments or photos); it should be brief, single-spaced and have minimal formatting. Please no bullet points, numbering, or underlining. Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.