from Shelagh Moskow, Trish Siefer, and Carla Macy
Please save the date: Wednesday, January 22nd for a Parent/Teacher/Community Forum to meet the new principal finalist(s)
Location: Thoreau cafeteria
Time: Evening, TBD
We will publish the names of the finalists and time of the forum, as soon as Superintendent Diana Rigby informs us of her choices and the schedule.
By way of background, Kelly McCausland, the District’s Director of Human Resources, informed us that her office received 22 applications. On January 9th and 13th the Principal Search Committee (named at the bottom of this message) interviewed seven candidates who were deemed “qualified” by Human Resources, meaning that they fulfilled two requirements: the applicants held a principal certification, and the applicants had previous experience as an elementary school principal.
The interview sessions involved each candidate being asked the same 12 questions. In response to our December 1st email requesting parental input, nine Thoreau parents submitted comments. These were synthesized and provided to Human Resources, and a few were incorporated into the interview questions.
The Committee selected four candidates as finalists.
The district has decided that the Committee’s finalists will interview with Diana Rigby prior to being presented as finalists to the community. Ms. Rigby has indicated that there may be one, two, or three finalists.
We sincerely hope that all of you will take the time to attend the forum(s) and gain insight into the candidates. There will also be feedback forms for you to express your views on the candidates.
Going forward, we expect a smaller sub-committee will go on site visits prior to Diana Rigby making her final decision.
The Search Committee members were as follows:
- Kelly McCausland, District Director of Human Resources
- Kathy Codianne, District Director of Teaching and Learning
- Sharon Young, Principal Alcott School
- Aaron Joncas, METCO Director
- Wendy Marotta, CTA Representative
- Tom Hourihan, Thoreau 5th grade teacher
- Laurel Jackson, Thoreau 2nd grade teacher
- Pamm Faricelli, Thoreau 3rd grade teacher
- Laurie Link, Thoreau Math Specialist
- Shannon Granger, Thoreau Occupational Therapist
- Sarah Kaufman, Thoreau Special Education Teacher
- Peggy Harrington, Thoreau Special Education Teacher
- Rachel Levesque, Thoreau School Social Worker
- Shelagh Moskow, Former PTG Co-President
- Carla Macy, Current PTG Co-President
- Trish Siefer, Current PTG Vice President