PTG Co-Presidents’ Message and News
We would like to start off this week by thanking Katherine Taunton-Rigby for doing such an incredible job organizing Picture Day for us yesterday! We appreciate all of her efforts that made everything run smoothly. And thank you to the parent volunteers that came out to help as well. And we were so grateful for the incredible weather!
For all parents who might plan to volunteer at our various events this year: everyone needs to get CORI checked prior to any volunteering. You can either pop into the school and Lauren Canale in the front office can help you or you can complete the form online by clicking this link here. Thoreau requires this to be done annually.
Reminder! This Sunday is our annual Ice Cream Social from 2-4pm! See below for more details from the Social Committee.
Another reminder!! Next Thursday, September 23rd from 9:30-11:30am is our K/1 coffee and the details will be emailed to all of the K/1 families next week so keep your eyes on the lookout for that information.
We are very excited to announce our new Multicultural and International Committee!! Please see below for more details including the first meet-up coming up on Sunday October 3rd at 11:00am
Back-to-School Movie Night is coming up on September 25th!! And the kids get to decide the movie!! Please see below for more details and an opportunity to pay ahead of the event. This is our first fundraiser of the year and we are hoping for a huge turn-out! We will also have snacks for sale at the event.
If you haven’t yet consented to have your child/children participate in the weekly COVID testing program, please consider doing so. Surveillance testing is a HUGE piece of the COVID puzzle to help keep everyone safe and the district has made tremendous strides to minimize the time that students may miss from in-person learning if there is a positive result. The link to sign up your child/children is included here:
- Sunday, September 19th from 2-4pm: Annual Thoreau School Ice Cream Social!
- Thursday, September 23rd from 9:00-10:30am: K/1 Coffee
Friday September 24th – PTG meeting at 9:30 am by zoom; Finalize budget for the year
- Saturday, September 25th @ 7:15pm: Outdoor Back to School Movie Night!
- Wednesday September 29th – Virtual Back to School Night from 5:30-7:30
- Sunday, October 3rd – Multicultural and International social meet-up at 11am on the lower playground – all families welcome
Evy Alloway and Erin Sahacic PTG Co-Presidents
Natalia Sternberger PTG Vice President
New! Thoreau Multicultural & International Committee
Our brand new Multicultural and International Committee wants to:
- Bring people together from different cultures and languages.
- Support teachers.
- Support new international families.
- Share the love for our traditions, culture and language.
- Meet new friends and have fun!
We are hoping you can come to our first meeting
- Sunday October 3rd, at 11 am
- Thoreau outdoor tents by the parking lot
- Bring a favorite dish to share, we will have coffee and some treats!
- All of the family is invited!
We hope to see you there!
BACK-TO-SCHOOL OUTDOOR MOVIE NIGHT ON SEPTEMBER 25TH
- WHAT MOVIE WILL WE WATCH?? The kids get to decide!
- THE CHOICES ARE: Sing, Hotel Transylvania and The Secret Life of Pets
- HOW TO VOTE? Your children bring in loose change from home and drop the coins in the container that matches the movie they want to see.
- WHERE TO VOTE? The containers will be located outside the main office. They can vote when they enter the school in the morning.
- WHEN TO VOTE? Now through Thursday September 23rd
- WHO WINS? The container with the MOST coins – and yes, they can vote MULTIPLE times!!
- COST: $10 person OR $25 per family (pay by PayPal or Venmo @thoreau-ptg)
BOKS Fall 2021 Program
Fall BOKS starts Tuesday, September 21st!!
BOKS is BACK!!! Build Our Kids Success, aka BOKS, is a free before-school physical fitness program that has been immensely popular in years past. With a mission to promote the profound impact of physical activity on a child’s mind, body and community, BOKS kids are better focused and ready to learn. The importance of BOKS is that any child can enjoy the benefits of fitness and that physical activity isn’t just reserved for athletes. The Fall BOKS season will run Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:00-8:50 AM, starting on September 21st and running through October 28th. Click here to learn more and to sign up: https://www.thoreauptg.org/boks-fitness-program/
Welcome Back From your Thoreau Social Co-Chairs:
K/1 Coffee – We welcome all Kindergarten & 1st Grade parents to join us for coffee and light breakfast (outside). We hope you can make it — Thursday, September 23rd @ 9:30am. Little siblings welcome.
Ice Cream Social – Another annual, beloved event! Come one, come all to frolic with pals new & old and enjoy ice cream!! Sunday, September 19th from 2-4pm at Thoreau!
Our local West Concord ice cream vendor, Reasons to Be Cheerful, will be serving up ice cream via their new CHILL WAGON! Ice cream is courtesy of the Thoreau PTG
- Visit our Online School Store for all your Thoreau Swag needs!
- THOREAU Car Magnets. $5 each. Show your Thoreau pride as you cruise around town! Please contact Kerri Nash @ email@example.com to get yours!
Concord Association of Music Parents meeting September 29 at 8:00 pm via Zoom
The Concord Association of Music Parents (Concord AMP) is a parent group that supports the music ensemble programs (band, orchestra and chorus) in the Concord elementary and middle schools, through advocacy for music education, fundraising and community engagement. We are a group for all parents and guardians of students in these programs, and we’d love to meet you! Please join us for our next meeting on Wednesday, September 29 at 8:00 pm, via Zoom or phone
Join Thoreau’s Cub Scout Pack 133: Free Model Rocket Launch Event!
Calling all K-5 boys and girls interested in getting outside and learning what Cub Scouting at Thoreau is all about! Please join Pack 133 for our free annual rocket launch recruiting event at the Acton School Street Fields (320 School Street, Acton, MA 01720) on Tuesday, September 28th, 6–8 pm. We’ll provide the rockets and materials to decorate them, and then we’ll watch them take flight! Rain date is Thursday, September 30th, 6–8 pm. Please RSVP so we’ll reserve a rocket for you and so we can contact you in case the event is postponed due to weather: Cubmaster.Concord133@gmail.com Pack 133 includes boys and girls in grades K-5, and anyone can join at any grade level. For more details, please visit https://www.facebook.com/
Concord Recreation News
- November Professional Day Care: Looking for child care for the November 4th Professional Day? The November Professional Day Program is from 8:00am to 6:00pm at Hunt Recreation Center. Registration open to general public. First come, first serve basis. This program has NO AFFILIATION with Concord Recreation’s Before or Afterschool Program. Please inform Concord Recreation of any medical issues or allergies. Field Trip to be announced.
- Esports League: NEW to Concord – Esports leagues and events for ages 8-18! You can safely play your favorite games in a competitive league, or one off major event. Play Madden 21, Fortnite, Super Smash Bros, or Rocket League.
- Outdoor Movie Night: Join Concord Recreation on Friday, September 24th at 7pm for an outdoor, family friendly movie to be shown on the basketball courts at the Hunt Recreation Center (90 Stow Street Concord, MA). Bring your chairs, blankets and snacks. Registration recommended.
- We’re hiring: Before and After-School Staff : Concord Recreation provides AfterSchool, Before School and Early Release Day care for our Alcott, Thoreau and Willard families. This year, we are fully enrolled at all sites with waitlists. We are actively seeking people to work in our programs. Contact Anita Stevanazzi-Hill for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COAR Meeting Mon Sept 20, 2021 7:30pm COAR (Communities Organizing Against Racism) was founded by Thoreau parents looking to share experiences, learn, take action, and engage in courageous conversations about race with each other and with our children. COAR offers a monthly learning and discussion group open to all. Our first meeting of the 2021-22 school year will be on Monday, September 20, at 7:30pm (on Zoom), and focused on the concept of identity. Check out coaraction.org to learn more, or email email@example.com to join the conversation!
Thinking about joining Girl Scouts? Concord & Carlisle girls in Kindergarten through 3rd grade are invited to learn about Girl Scouts and get WILD on the (outdoor) dance floor at our Animal Dance Party on Saturday, Sept. 25! Siblings are welcome! More details and registration in the Eventbrite Link. Please register so we have enough craft supplies.
New Music & Movement Classes at Concord Conservatory of Music (CCM)—Kids ages 3 through 15 can build a musical foundation through movement. Partnering with a music-focused, nonprofit, Integral Steps, CCM will offer integrated learning experiences that allow students to experience music through singing, dancing, and games. Young musicians will explore all the qualities of music through movement—learning about pitch, phrasing, accent, and all of the richness of music. They won’t even realize that they’re gaining ear-training skills and other musical concepts. Explore the fall offerings and register today: Music Makers (age 3), Musical Gateway (ages 4–5), and Rhythmic Solfège (classes divided by age and skill level- appropriate for age 6-15. Financial assistance is available. ConcordConservatory.org / info@ConcordConservatory.org / (978) 369-0010
Saturday, September 18 Car Wash Fundraiser for CCHS Women’s Soccer – Come support the players by getting your car washed at Crosby’s parking lot on Saturday from 10am – 2:00 pm. All donations go to supporting the CCHS Women’s Soccer Freshmen, JV and Varsity teams. For more information visit www.cchswomenssoccer.com
Concord-Carlisle Youth Basketball has opened registration for the 2021-2022 travel basketball season to boys and girls in Grades 4 – 8. Earlybird registration is open until 9/19 and tryouts will take place on October 13-15. More details can be found at the CCYB website at http://ccybasketball.org.
The Beede Swim and Fitness Center and the Concord Free Public Library are teaming up to bring you BEEDE AND BOOKS. Join us in the Beede Center lobby and Children’s Play Pool for a collaboration of reading and swimming. A librarian will read books from 11:30 am-11:50 am. Then children get a half hour of swimming fun from 12 pm-12:30 pm. This free program happens once a month in 2021 on the following Fridays: Sept 24, Oct 22, Nov 19, and Dec 17. Register at concordlibrary.org.
The Children’s Department at the Concord Free Public Library is excited to host Going Green in Your Backyard on Wednesday, September 29 from 2:00—3:00 PM on the front lawn of the Main Library. Help us celebrate Climate Preparedness Week and also learn about local wildlife and what you can do to help the environment beginning in your own backyard! This program is open to all ages! In case of rain, the program will be rescheduled. No registration required. This event is generously sponsored by The Friends of the Concord Free Public Library.
Registration is now open for the 2021 Mighty Moose 5k! We are thrilled to offer both an in-person and virtual event this year. The in-person event will be held at Concord Carlisle High School on Sunday, September 26, while the virtual event will run from September 11, 2021 through September 26, 2021. Our goal this year is to raise $250,000 for ovarian cancer research. We ask for your continued support! Click here to register today.
Music Lessons with IMSCC – fall enrollment is open! Fall music lessons start in September – musicians of all ages and levels are invited to join us! We have lessons for all band and orchestra instruments, plus piano, voice, guitar, and ukulele. IMSCC’s instructors can help students get back into practice while learning new music and new skills with expert one-on-one instruction. This fall IMSCC is offering a choice of remote or in-person lessons, after school and evenings. In-person lessons are conveniently located at CCHS and the Carlisle public school campus; IMSCC lessons will follow school district protocols for Covid safety. Click here to request lessons, or here for more information about IMSCC. Questions? email Debbie Levine
West Concord Porchfest – September 25th 1- 5pm A free, All-ages Grassroots Community Music Festival! More than two dozen live acts in your neighbor’s yards, within walking distance of West Concord Village. The streets surrounding West Concord Village will fill with music for the second annual West Concord Porchfest on September 25, 2021 from 1-5 pm (rain date: Sunday September 26). More Info: Westconcordporchfest.org
Concord Youth Theatre to host a Family Fun Fair featuring Games, Fun, Food, Music, and Prizes! Join us for the fun on Saturday, September 18th, 1 PM to 4 PM (rain or shine). Admission is $25 per family and $10 for individuals. All proceeds benefit CYT programming. Get your tickets here.
The Concord Free Public Library invites children to “Read to Luna the Dog Live!” on the Main Library Lawn the third Wednesday of each month between 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm. The upcoming dates to read to Luna are Sept 15, Oct 20, Nov 17, and Dec 15. When the weather gets cooler or if there is rain, Luna will meet with readers inside the Main Library. Reading to dogs boosts reading skills and emotional and social skills for children. This event is for children ages 5 and up. Register in advance for a 15 minute individual session with Luna.
Concord Scholars Institute for Arts and Languages is offering intensive foreign language group instruction to school-aged children and young adults in a creative, fun and interactive setting. Our highly qualified and experienced teachers are currently offering classes in Italian, German, and American Sign Language (ASL). Classes are held in person at the Corinthian Masonic Lodge, 58 Monument Sq, Concord, MA (Online options are also available.) For more information and to register, please email Maria Caterina Ferretti at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fabric Arts Hour at Concord Scholars, Institute for Arts and Languages – Does your child enjoy designing and making things with their own hands? Concord Scholars is offering a class in fabric arts: Make a denim area rug out of recycled fabric!
- Classes run for 2 weeks: Wed. October 6th & Wed. October 13th
- Time: 1:30-3:30 PM
- Location: 58 Monument Square, 01742
- Instructor: Miss Maria
- Tuition includes 4 hours of instruction & cost of materials: $75/child.
- To register, contact Maria Caterina Ferretti at: email@example.com