PTG Co-Presidents’ Message and News
We want to start off this week by thanking our amazing social co-chairs, Kerri Nash and Julia Elliott, for organizing not one, but TWO awesome events this week. First up was our Annual Ice Cream Social on Sunday and it was the perfect day! (Click here for pictures and message from committee co-chairs). So many families in our Thoreau community came out to enjoy the weather, some yummy ice cream, and connecting with other families. Thank you to everyone who was able to make a contribution to help us offset the increased cost this year! This was our first all school in-person event in 18 months and the happiness and energy was palpable! We know there were some “glitches” and we are actively working with the vendor to make it even better next year. If you did not get a chance to make a donation at the ice cream social and still want to, you can either Venmo @thoreau-PTG or click here.
The second event was our K/1 coffee that was held this morning. There was a really nice turn-out with both new and veteran parents, and we thank everyone for sticking with us and being flexible with the changes in the date and location. Thank you to Erin Sahacic for being such a fabulous host!
Reminder that our Outdoor Movie Night is THIS Saturday!! Movie start time is 7:15 and don’t forget to bring along your blankets and chairs. The winning movie will be revealed tomorrow morning during the morning announcements and we will also send a blast through this newsletter, so keep your eye out for that at about 3pm tomorrow. See below for more information. The winner will also be announced at our brief PTG meeting tomorrow morning.
Another reminder that our new Multicultural and International committee is having its first meet-up on Sunday, October 3rd at 11:00. See below for more details.
Did you know that we have a Thoreau School Garden? We are looking for a parent with a passion for gardening to head up our “Grounds For Learning” Committee. Please see below for more information.
If you order anything from Amazon, there is a really easy way that you can shop AND support the PTG! Just go to Amazon Smile and in the top left hand corner of the homepage you can set the Thoreau School PTG as your charity of choice. Then Amazon automatically makes a donation to us when you purchase products on Amazon – at NO COST to you!
Lastly, we hope that you will join us tomorrow morning at 9:30 for a brief PTG meeting to vote in our budget for the year and to hear the reveal of the winning movie for Saturday night. Our next meeting in October will be held in the evening. This will allow those of you with schedules that usually prohibit you from attending our morning meetings an opportunity to get involved and engaged.
- Friday September 24th – PTG meeting at 9:30 am by zoom; Finalize budget for the year
- Saturday, September 25th @ 7:15pm: Outdoor Back to School Movie Night!
- Wednesday September 29th – Virtual Back to School Night from 5:30-7:30
- Sunday, October 3rd – Multicultural and International social meet-up at 11am on the lower playground – all families welcome
Evy Alloway and Erin Sahacic PTG Co-Presidents
Natalia Sternberger PTG Vice President
Thoreau Grounds For Learning
The Thoreau School Garden is called “Grounds For Learning”. It is a wonderful, parent managed resource that reflects the hard work of many past and present Thoreau families. It has been languishing through the Pandemic but the Thoreau community is ready to start taking advantage of it’s full potential! To get it back in use, the PTG is searching for a new chairperson to manage it and to make it accessible to students. If you are interested in helping with the School Garden please call or email Betsy Olsson-Mackowski at firstname.lastname@example.org
New! Thoreau Multicultural & International Committee
Have you recently moved to Thoreau from a different country? Does your family speak a second language at home? Has your family kept cultural traditions from your immigrant ancestors? Do you want to support new international families while they get settled and learn to navigate this school system? Or do you just want to have fun and meet other families from different cultures? Then please join us!
Our brand new Multicultural and International Committee wants to:
- Bring people together from different cultures and languages.
- Support teachers.
- Support new international families.
- Share the love for our traditions, culture and language.
- Meet new friends and have fun!
We are hoping you can come to our first meeting
- Sunday October 3rd, at 11 am
- Thoreau outdoor tents by the parking lot
- Bring a favorite dish to share, we will have coffee and some treats!
- All of the family is invited!
We hope to see you there! Please click on the link here to sign up and confirm your attendance, and let us know if you would like to bring a treat to share (not required).
Back-to-School Outdoor Movie Night – September 25th
- WHAT MOVIE WILL WE WATCH?? The kids get to decide!
- THE CHOICES ARE: Sing, Hotel Transylvania and The Secret Life of Pets
- HOW TO VOTE? Your children bring in loose change from home and drop the coins in the container that matches the movie they want to see.
- WHERE TO VOTE? The containers will be located outside the main office. They can vote when they enter the school in the morning.
- WHEN TO VOTE? Now through Thursday September 23rd
- WHO WINS? The container with the MOST coins – and yes, they can vote MULTIPLE times!!
- COST: $10 person OR $25 per family (Pay ahead by PayPal or Venmo @thoreau-ptg) or with Cash at the event
Online School Store
- Visit our Online School Store for all your Thoreau Swag needs!
- THOREAU Car Magnets. $5 each. Show your Thoreau pride as you cruise around town! Please contact Kerri Nash @ email@example.com to get yours!
National Box Tops For Education Week
It’s National Box Top For Education Week! Thoreau has participated in this completely FREE program for many years. Our school’s lifetime earnings are $14,420!!! Our goal for this year is $1,000 and so far we’ve earned $12.20 towards it! All of these earnings go straight to fun programming and supplies for our students. If you haven’t already downloaded the BTFE app, please do so! The best way to participate in this effort is by scanning your grocery receipts in the app. If you do have physical box tops clipped, you can send them to your teacher in a bag or envelope IF they have a valid date. Check out this flyer for additional info or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with questions.
Concord Association of Music Parents meeting September 29 at 8:00 pm via Zoom
The Concord Association of Music Parents (Concord AMP) is a parent group that supports the music ensemble programs (band, orchestra and chorus) in the Concord elementary and middle schools, through advocacy for music education, fundraising and community engagement. We are a group for all parents and guardians of students in these programs, and we’d love to meet you! Please join us for our next meeting on Wednesday, September 29 at 8:00 pm, via Zoom or phone
Join Thoreau’s Cub Scout Pack 133: Free Model Rocket Launch Event!
Calling all K-5 boys and girls interested in getting outside and learning what Cub Scouting at Thoreau is all about! Please join Pack 133 for our free annual rocket launch recruiting event at the Acton School Street Fields (320 School Street, Acton, MA 01720) on Tuesday, September 28th, 6–8 pm. We’ll provide the rockets and materials to decorate them, and then we’ll watch them take flight! Rain date is Thursday, September 30th, 6–8 pm. Please RSVP so we’ll reserve a rocket for you and so we can contact you in case the event is postponed due to weather: Cubmaster.Concord133@gmail.com Pack 133 includes boys and girls in grades K-5, and anyone can join at any grade level. For more details, please visit https://www.facebook.com/ConcordPack133
Lost and Found
|Middle School Building Project Community Forum to be held TODAY, September 23|
|The Middle School Building Committee invites you to our next Community Forum, to be held TODAY, September 23 at 12:00pm via Zoom. We hope you will join us to hear the latest updates on the Schematic Design phase, as well as to share your feedback before plans are finalized for estimating. Click Here for Zoom Link. Forum details and Zoom information are below. |
To find timely information about where we are on our project timeline, how to interact with us, and where to learn more, you can follow us on social media
Twitter: @cmsbcinconcord (https://twitter.com/CMSBCinConcord)
Instagram: @cmsbcinconcord (https://www.instagram.com/cmsbcinconcord/)
Concord Recreation News
Concord Recreation is happy to be back in full-swing with fall programming! Check out our website for more details: www.concordrec.com
- November Professional Day Care: Looking for child care for the November 4th Professional Day? The November Professional Day Program is from 8:00am to 6:00pm at Hunt Recreation Center. Registration open to general public. First come, first serve basis. This program has NO AFFILIATION with Concord Recreation’s Before or Afterschool Program. Please inform Concord Recreation of any medical issues or allergies. Field Trip to be announced.
- Esports League: NEW to Concord – Esports leagues and events for ages 8-18! You can safely play your favorite games in a competitive league, or one off major event. Play Madden 21, Fortnite, Super Smash Bros, or Rocket League.
- Outdoor Movie Night: Join Concord Recreation on Friday, September 24th at 7pm for an outdoor, family friendly movie to be shown on the basketball courts at the Hunt Recreation Center (90 Stow Street Concord, MA). Bring your chairs, blankets and snacks. Registration recommended.
- We’re hiring: Before and After-School Staff : Concord Recreation provides AfterSchool, Before School and Early Release Day care for our Alcott, Thoreau and Willard families. This year, we are fully enrolled at all sites with waitlists. We are actively seeking people to work in our programs. Contact Anita Stevanazzi-Hill for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thinking about joining Girl Scouts? Concord & Carlisle girls in Kindergarten through 3rd grade are invited to learn about Girl Scouts and get WILD on the (outdoor) dance floor at our Animal Dance Party on Saturday, Sept. 25! Siblings are welcome! More details and registration in the Eventbrite Link. Please register so we have enough craft supplies.
Kicks for Cancer 2021 – September 25th! Thank you for your support! Let’s Kick Cancer together! After a Virtual 2020, this year we are thrilled to return to an in- person Kicks for Cancer event at CCHS on September 25th! The games start early in the day and stretch into the evening with players taking to the fields wearing the name of a loved one who has battled cancer displayed on the backs of their jerseys in their honor. Please join us on September 25, 2021 to show your support! We need volunteers to help make the day successful! To sign up to volunteer at the event, go to:
- Volunteers – We need volunteers to help make the day successful! To sign up to volunteer at the event, go to: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaad22a5fc1-2021
- Parking Volunteer Sign-up – To sign up to help with parking at the event, go to: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d4daaae29a5fa7-kicks
- Tickets – Tickets will be available at the gate on the day of the event, and the game schedule is available at https://www.kicksforcancer1.org.
- Lawn signs: In keeping with the community spirit of the event, we also encourage you to show your support with a KICKS lawn sign in the shape of the traditional KICKS jersey! You can support the players as well as the cause by helping us paint our towns Pink + Teal with your lawn sign. To order yours (while supplies last) visit us at: https://kicks-4-cancer-1.square.site ]
- Donations: If you would like to support KICKS with a donation please visit us at: https://www.paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/1739524 or Venmo @kicksforcancer.
- For more information, please visit us at https://www.kicksforcancer1.org
- The Concord Free Public Library is teaming up with The Nature Connection for monthly programs! We invite children to a nature themed storytime where they can meet an animal and explore nature hands-on. Programs will take place in-person at the Main Library. On 9/28 at 4 pm, we will have a program for all ages focusing on climate change. In October, we will offer a storytime for pre-K children on the second Tuesday of each month at 10:30am. We will also offer a program for elementary students on the second Wednesday of each month at 2pm.
The Concord Free Public Library is excited to host a virtual author talk with children’s author Lucia Van Bebber on Wednesday, October 6 at 2pm on Zoom. Learn more about how she writes stories for children in the hope of inspiring them to learn more about wildlife and wildlife conservation. Lucia’s goal is to help educate young minds in order to save animals that are now on the endangered species list and are on the verge of extinction.
Picture Yourself: A Virtual Celebration of Women in STEAM – Join Discovery Museum as we celebrate the women behind the Museum’s newest exhibit, Picture Yourself: Women in STEAM—portraits of six local female scientists, painted by three local female artists. Listen in as the scientists and artists talk about their work, research, and interests, and be inspired as you learn why they find science and art cool and exciting. They’ll answer your questions as they share what it’s like to be a scientist and artist. Your registration confirmation will include a short survey to provide your questions for the artists and scientists in advance—including whether you or your child would like to ask a question live during the event. This free, live, virtual event is for children, ages 7+ years, and their caregivers to enjoy together. Wednesday, September 29, 6:00pm to 7:30pm EDT via Zoom webinar. The event is free; registration is required. For more information, visit www.discoveryacton.org.
Music Lessons with IMSCC – fall enrollment is open! Fall music lessons start in September – musicians of all ages and levels are invited to join us! We have lessons for all band and orchestra instruments, plus piano, voice, guitar, and ukulele. IMSCC’s instructors can help students get back into practice while learning new music and new skills with expert one-on-one instruction. This fall IMSCC is offering a choice of remote or in-person lessons, after school and evenings. In-person lessons are conveniently located at CCHS and the Carlisle public school campus; IMSCC lessons will follow school district protocols for Covid safety. Click here to request lessons, or here for more information about IMSCC. Questions? email Debbie Levine
Registration is now open for the 2021 Mighty Moose 5k! We are thrilled to offer both an in-person and virtual event this year. The in-person event will be held at Concord Carlisle High School on Sunday, September 26, while the virtual event will run from September 11, 2021 through September 26, 2021. Our goal this year is to raise $250,000 for ovarian cancer research. We ask for your continued support! Click here to register today.
West Concord Porchfest – September 25th 1- 5pm A free, All-ages Grassroots Community Music Festival! More than two dozen live acts in your neighbor’s yards, within walking distance of West Concord Village. The streets surrounding West Concord Village will fill with music for the second annual West Concord Porchfest on September 25, 2021 from 1-5 pm (rain date: Sunday September 26). More Info: Westconcordporchfest.org
CCHS Varsity basketball coaches Amy Davagian and David Cohen and their players are offering 4-week basketball clinics for all players Grades 1 through 8 on Saturday October, 2, 16, 23, and 30 at the CCHS main gym. Clinics are for players of all abilities.
Girls Clinics – Sponsored by CCHS Girls Basketball
- 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- $120 (donated directly to CCHS Girls Basketball) payable by:
- Click here for Paypal:
- Venmo: @Colleen-Henschke
Boys Clinics – Sponsored by Patriot Hoops Clinics
- 10:30 to 12:00 p.m.
- Register Here for Boys Clinics – Sponsored by Patriot Hoops Clinics
- Cost is $120, payable at:
- Venmo: @PatriotBasketball
- Credit card at www.patriothoopclinics.com
Back to School and Back to Fall Sports! How many of your players have outgrown their cleats, lacrosse gear and sports clothing?
- Take a moment to check your closets and garages for gently used gear! Pack it up and drop it off at the following locations and it will be delivered to the Boston Chapter of Harlem Lacrosse.
- When: September 18th- October 3rd
- 52 Indian Spring Road – Concord (Side Porch)
- 42 Nashoba Road – Concord (Barn)
- CCHS Memorial Field – October 3rd only!
- Learn more about the Boston Chapter of Harlem Lacrosse; an incredible organization that we are lucky to partner with!